Sunday, January 01, 2006

Getting a Life

Last night we spent New Year's Eve with three other couples and their kids. It was the third New Year's that we have spent with this group. It has become an annual tradition. The menu has also become a tradition- turkey, gravy, potatoes, caramel pudding, (and I'll ignore the brussels sprouts and the Waldorf salad, since I won't touch either). The food was incredible, as usual. In the past, I have felt like we were a third wheel, since we are really friends with one of the couples. Last night was different, it seemed. I felt the others more actively included both of us. Perhaps because we moved here. Or, perhaps because my perceptions are now different. We aren't flying out of here in a few days, and maybe I am more open to a friendship of some sort developing. It was a great evening.

For those unfamiliar with Norwegian New Year's Eve festivities, as in much of Europe, people shoot off fireworks. The last two days of the year, fireworks are legal to sell and use. Some of these are rather substantial, and some families spend thousands on their displays. These aren't quite as grand as the professional fireworks in the US, but these are head and shoulders above what are legal for the general citizenry. There is something surreal about being surrounded by fireworks. They are literally everywhere. Of course the day after, the papers fill with stories of missing fingers, fires, and other accidents.

In an example of what a small world we live in, a member of bikeforums.net contacted me while we were still living in the US. If I recall, he caught wind of the fact that we were moving to Stavanger. We emailed each other a few times, and he was very helpful in giving me information about the biking scene around here. As it turned out, we moved just up the hill from him- like a block or two away. Today we finally met and went on a two and a half hour bike ride. He was kind enough to loan me his cross bike, which fit like a glove without a single adjustment. I even had shoes that used the same pedal system. His basement reminded me of our home in Minneapolis- bike parts everywhere. We took a "flat ride"- his words, not mine. It reminds me how flat the midwest actually is. We only had 1400 feet of elevation gain during the ride. The temperature was right around freezing, but the roads were clear and there was little traffic. It is always a little strange being along for the ride, not knowing exactly where I am going, how far we are going, or even where we are. About halfway through the ride, we picked up on a route I had taken before. Anyway, it is nice to know there is a great guy and such a strong rider that lives so nearby. It was not nice to know what a diesel engine I've become- riding my one gear that works. Or maybe it was just the holidays, but I was feeling out of shape. Anyway, thanks again for the ride.

Tomorrow I start work. I would be lying if I said I have no anxiety. For the most part, I have had very little interactions with anyone without Lise being around. We didn't exactly plan it that way, but that is what happens when I don't have a job and we just moved here. I think it is great to be developing independence, but still, it is a little strange. My boss knows my language situation. It is my coworkers that concern me. I don't want to be unable to participate in the social aspects of work because of language issues- or to be judged by others. If anyone has any doubt about my willingness to learn the language, all they need to do is consider the realities involved with NOT speaking Norwegian. I don't want to just be here, I want to live here. I need more than English to get by with that. Then again, at the party last night, I pretty much knew what everyone was talking about. I maybe missed some of the details, but at least I was sort of with it- and it didn't seem to require too much effort on my part. Again, I just need to be patient.

No comments: