Saturday, April 19, 2008

Crashing Like a Pro


19.04.2008, originally uploaded by filtersweep.

I was overdue for a bike crash, apparently. This morning I headed out for a nice ride in Sandnes. I had to return home by 8:45 so Lise could go to the university. As I was in downtown Sandnes, in the main roundabout on the main road, I realized that what I had thought was water on the road was not. Before I could think, I went down hard--- in a major slick of cooking grease.

I had the characteristic shot of adrenaline, and was thankful I rode the Bianchi, rather than the Look this morning. My leg and hip ached. As I was pedaling home, I noticed the handlebars were crooked. Off the bike I found that the seat and the rear skewer are scratched up. I have a bit of bloody road rash on my hip and ankle. I am not particularly happy that someone left several liters of grease in the middle of the road, but considering how things might have turned out if there was more traffic, or if I rode my other bike, I really can't complain too much. Still, it is quite a freak accident.

No comments: