Friday, December 05, 2008

Still Sick

I don't seem to be getting any better. I took the day off and headed to the doctor today. I have had a cough for at least a month. Today I had a massive headache, and felt generally miserable. I called my doctor and landed a 1pm appointment. As I was parking the car, I noticed a woman had backed over an embankment, and her car was stuck--- none of her wheels were touching the ground. She sheepishly smiled at me as I walked by. At least she had a sense of humor.

There were quite a few people in the waiting room when I arrived. I never quite know what to expect with the Norwegian medical system. Last time I went to the doctor, a few years ago, I saw a different doctor--- who looked like she was seventeen. Eventually I was called back and given a blood test. After a brief wait the doctor saw me. He informed me that my white count was elevated, so I was definitely sick (in case I did not know). I wanted an antibiotic, but he said that it was likely viral. He could well be right, but this cold has lasted far too long. Normally a cold lasts a week at the most. I asked him about this, and he said that if I wasn't better next week I could come back. This seemed to ignore the fact that I have struggled with this for quite some time already. I wouldn't normally see the doctor for a cold. I didn't see the point of waiting a few more days. This is not a good time to be sick, with a very pregnant wife and a two year old at home.

So here is where it gets strange. He wrote out a prescription for Cosylan, a cough syrup with ethylmorphine, and he pretty much acted like I hit the jackpot to receive it. Apparently it is illegal to drive when taking it. I would have much preferred an antibiotic. I had the prescription filled-- it is a massive bottle-- 350 ml. I'll try anything at this point. Still, I don't see how this is better than possibly "abusing" an antibiotic.

No comments: