Monday, June 09, 2008

Back In Norway

I arrived home mid-day on Saturday--- just in time for our block party. We have very cool neighbors--- most of them, at least. The weather has been excellent; sunny and in the 80s. I am still quite jet-lagged. Traveling east, this means that I am up very late, and have grave difficulties waking at a normal time. I took the day off today and hung out with Julian most of the day. It is very clear that he understands what I say- even if it is in English. When I ask him to do something, he usually does it. We have been living life outdoors this summer. I love it.

Next week I work in London. I am not thrilled about that, but it could be worse. At least I am close to home. The first time I visited, I thought London was one of the coolest cities I have been to. After several trips, my attitude is "not again." I should have a good time, though. We will be with a Argentinian colleague. By default, English will be the primary language.

I have been biking daily, trying to get back in the swing of things. Yesterday I encountered an odd situation. I was biking along the E39 on the way to Figgjo. I believe it may be illegal to bike on the highway there, but I am not sure. I was on a multi-use path when I saw all sorts of mountain bikers. I then noticed they had race numbers on their jerseys. I thought they may have been carried over from the North Sea race which is around this time of the year. These bikers were riding like maniacs-- on a path shared with children, pedestrians, etc. I was caught up in a bunch of them, and as I had to slow due to heavy bike traffic, some bozo passes and almost takes me wheel out. I was a bit angry, so I passed the entire lot of them after we cleared an underpass. It was smooth sailing, biking alone. It wasn't until I hit Figgjo that I noticed it was the Jadarhusrittet. It must be a semi-serious race if it is that easy for me, a non-participant, to pass everyone in sight. I headed the opposite direction of the race course toward Klepp. Had I known there was a race, I would have chosen a different route. It is a wonder someone doesn't get seriously injured on an open course like this.

No comments: