Friday, October 31, 2008

Filtersweep Eats Pavement

(again) I woke up this morning a checked the temperature--- 2C. Above freezing. No need for studded tires. I slowly took off, tested the brakes, and was fine on slightly wet pavement. It was a beautiful sunny day. We live at the top of a substantial hill, and I let go of the brake levers--- happy to be riding my mountain bike (where I can coast). I was moving at a good clip, maybe around 40kph at the bottom of the hill when I suddenly went down on glare ice. My first thought was my laptop--- it didn't seem to strike pavement (although the rest of me certainly did).

I weighed my options: I could proceed to work--- paranoid about icing out at any moment, or head home and swap out my wheels. By the time I made it home, I opted to drive. Nothing appears to be broken, although my knee, hip, and shoulder hurt. No doctor's visit for me this time. I was lucky I crashed on ice--- it generally reduces road rash.

I commuted all winter last year, and thought I had a good handle on the weather and ice conditions. I didn't ride with studs until January. It isn't even November. I guess I won't make this mistake again.

No comments: