Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Drinking a Carlsberg in Copenhagen

I will soon boycott Carlsberg, now that I know it is the Budweiser of Europe, but it will do in a pinch- like another two hour wait in an airport. Funny thing about travel in Europe is I spend more time in airports than actually flying anywhere. I had a 40 minute flight from Hamburg. The drive from Hannover was not my usual pushing the redline commute that Bremen was- there are far too many huge trucks. There are laws against them passing in certain areas, resulting in convoys miles long. Hamburg has the hugest shipyards imaginable. They are cartoonish in dimensions. I am sure there is some link going back to the Hanseatic League days, but I wouldn't know about such things. There are ships with these containers hanging off at impossible angles, and miles and miles of shipping crates stacked up like legos. There is also a strange long tunnel under the Elbe or other such river in Hamburg. Then of course there is the funny name. I am not even home, and in checking my email, I see that I am asked to return in a few days. I am OK with that, but I would rather have made it home before thinking about leaving again. I doubt it would be overnight this time.

A few oddities about the trip- when I checked out, I was charged for a few "premium movies." The hotel had a ridiculous setup where if you even turned to the movie channels, you were billed for watching them. The fact that I comprehend no German did nothing to help my argument.

When I returned the rental car, I witnessed the most efficient check-in system ever. They also went over the car with a fine-toothed comb, looking for damage.

I am tired. I have to work the next few days, since our India contact is still in town, and I have many things to coordinate with him. All I want is to be home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say that in my youth I swore by a Hof. Now, being transplanted to TX, I'll swear by Shiner Bock.