Saturday, March 25, 2006

Spring Ahead

Daylight savings begins in Norway tonight. I think the US still has a week to go. I biked to work daily, except Wednesday after we received another substantial snow. They maintain the bike routes very well here by salting, so I was able to bike the rest of the week. It was very cold, but I don't have far enough to ride for it to be a problem. This is as cold as it ever gets, so I think I can handle everything- but the ice.

We rented a DVD last night. I am very annoyed that I couldn't play it because of region coding. I still have a US coded DVD player. What kind of idiotic scheme is this? For an extra 499nok I can buy a decent DVD player and have the best of both worlds. Region coding is a stupid as locking a cell phone. There is always a workaround- although in my case it means buying another player. There may be some way to hack the coding, but I am too lazy to bother. I really wish I knew what "they" were trying to accomplish.

Finally, I am starting to make plans to travel to India for work in April or early May. It looks like this will really happen. I need to send my passport in to the Indian consultate for a business visa. I might also be traveling to Indonesia or Malaysia during this trip. My boss offered that Lise could join me on this trip. We will see what develops. Travel to India is rather expensive, even from here. I just need to make sure I don't end up with hepatitis or malaria.

It is extraordinarily windy today- the kind that stands you right up when you try to bike against it. I rode the the gym to workout. I know it sounds a little odd, but the wind chill was very cold today. I really need to shed this winter weight.

Tomorrow we view our "dream house." It is located on the top of the hill we live on, on the other side. It overlooks the fjord and the valley into Forus. It is affordable- 3 bedrooms with a garage and a view. If it looks even half as good in person as in the photos, I am sure we will make an offer. The trouble is, there are very few properties in this size and price range- so there will likely be a bidding war. We are crossing our fingers.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

That DVD region crap is, well, total crap. The more I learn about the whole DVD format the angrier I get. Same with HDTV. There is so much deliberate crippling of hardware to appease the "content owners" it'll make you cry if you hear about it.

India! Oh, I'm jealous now. :) Have fun!

Finally, congrats on getting the house. It almost sounded like you'd prefer your backup house, though - I hope the one you got end up being perfect.