Friday, May 12, 2006

Friday Photos

I leave tonight. It feels like I have been here for months. This is truly the most foreign place I have ever been. I only see other westerners in hotel restaurants. When I packed, I forgot a nail clipper. I really, really needed one, so I ventured out into the mid90 degree heat at 9am. The driver asked if I was actually walking or needed a ride. I walked. I ended up finding a nail clipper for 45 rupees. The price wasn't marked, so I am guessing he gouged me- but it is still a fraction of what it would cost in Norway. So far I have spent none of the 5000 rupee I withdrew from an ATM, except to visit an ancient temple. The temple cost 5 rupee for Indians or 250 for foreigners (around $5). I really didn't have a problem with that. There really are two economies that are beginning to collide. And now Microsoft is entering Chennai. This place will never be the same.
Workers loading propane tanks for delivery- by bike. Everything is slow and labor intensive by design. Signs are hand painted, automatic door openers do not exist- they would cost countless jobs in this city. I could go on and on.
A closer view on an "auto" parked in the shade.

Another auto- they are everywhere. I have seen as many as eight people jammed in back. They are slow- and sound like they have a chainsaw motor.
Chalk diagrams such as this seem to mark the entryway to most homes around here.

A little rush hour traffic for your enjoyment. There are no freeways in this huge city. Think about it!

No comments: