Saturday, May 31, 2008

Rochester

My father is fine, as expected. I flew into Minneapolis yesterday evening. The flight was uneventful, other than that someone either shat their pants, or had a bad medical condition involving flatulence. It was an effective appetite suppressant, but it was possibly the most unpleasant environment I have ever flown in. My brother was awesome-- and picked me up at the airport. I made it to Rochester before shuttle would have shown up. Big thanks!

I really don't understand the "Mayo Clinic," since there really isn't much of a Mayo. Rather there are all sorts of medical buildings with different names, different hospitals, etc. I think somehow they are mostly related, and the whole economy seems to be tied to the medical industry. This place is sort of like a tourist trap for sick people.

The hotel I am staying in is like a flashback to India. The proprietors appear to be Indian or Sri Lankan, and the decor is rather Indian. I also feel the heat and humidity of the midwest, which reinforces the effect. I have no complaints. The bed is comfortable, the room is big, and I have payed more for parking in city hotels than the nightly rate here.

I awoke at 4 am and watched TV. There is nothing like jet lag to start the day.

No comments: