Friday, April 06, 2007

Wanting a Boat



I was checking at finn.no, and there are almost as many ads for boats as cars. OK, that is a slight exaggeration, but there is an amazing assortment available that are relatively affordable. We live on a peninsula, so it is only fitting that we should have some sort of watercraft. Of course, I grew up as far away from an ocean as you can find on this planet. I know nothing about sailing, boat maintenance, navigation, or the realities of boat ownership. I have this fantasy notion of "boating" to the Mediterranean, but should probably consider that these diesel powered craft have a top speed of maybe 8 knots. That is a speedy 9mph. At that rate, it would "only" take 3 weeks round trip-- and that doesn't even account for the fuel. But at least we could stay in the cramped cabin, providing we could find somewhere to dock.

My best guess is that the expense of the boat is only the tip of the iceberg (which is probably not the best metaphor, in this case). All the accessories and maintenance-- and time- probably make this something more than I would bargain for. I guess I have the rest of my life to sort this out. Still, it never hurts to look.

No comments: