Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Nature Valley Grand Prix

I don't know what it is about the NVGP, but it seems I'm always out of town that weekend. A friend of mine worked as a volunteer, and mentioned that the organizers were disappointed with the turnout for the amateur races. I wasn't there, so I don't have any idea what the turnout actually was, but I don't know how thrilled I'd be about participating.

It seemed the amateur races were more or less "tacked on" to the already existing race schedule. As such, there was little room for fleshing out categories and age groups. As a masters 4, I would be able to race in Mankato with the 3s in a 3/4 race, or in Red Wing with the 4/5s- neither with any master's distinction (although Red Wing did have an open 40+ category). I wouldn't have a prayer racing with 3s, and I'm really not interested racing with a 5 half my age (or with half the experience).

I would love to see more races around the area. Earlier today I was excited to receive a flyer touting a road race in Clear Lake, Iowa on July 10. I know the area well enough to know it is completely flat down there, and it isn't far from where I grew up. Of course, it turns out it is the same day as the Hopkins Crit- which last year provided my best finish.

It was rainy this morning, so I drove to work. Of course it was nice all day, despite the ominous forecast. I managed to sneak two hours of riding in with a friend after work... the guy who worked the NVGP. His fixed gear bike still isn't up and running, so I gave him a front brake and lever. Maybe later this week I can watch him learn how to ride fixed?

No comments: