Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Why I Hate Bike Lanes

I was riding on Mississippi Blvd last night during rush hour, heading south, riding southbound in the bike lane (which is oddly lacking northbound). I had forgotten that route is an unmarked freeway during rush hour, despite its posted speed of 25 mph. Anyway, like most bike lanes, it is full of debris along the curb, prompting me to hug the white line. The trouble is, vehicles drive like I have my own lane, so they often drive inches away from me- much closer than if I were taking a lane.

Sunday I rode Summit back to the river. Again, I used the bike lane. In this case, portions of the lane are actually in the "dooring zone" of the parked cars, prompting me to hug the white line, again. The other issue with Summit is that there are more intersections. I don't feel that I can always be easily seen be vehicles waiting on arterial streets. Again, cars pass me much closer than if I had no lane.

I really don't mind riding in traffic. My issue with the bike lanes is based on principle. I feel set up in the notion that I really can't (or shouldn't) take the traffic lane when there is a dedicated bike lane. And, again, cars offer far less room while passing. Finally, lacking vehicular traffic, they become debris traps. I wish Minneapolis would adopt Chicago's bike lanes that are marked by a series of more "forgiving" V's, without a lane line running parallel to traffic.

On a different note, riding down by the river on West River Road- again, at rush hour- I was a bit frustrated at its use by motorists as a freeway- again, despite a posted speed limit of 25. While I normally abhor speed traps, last night, Minneapolis' finest were out in full force near Franklin Avenue. I guess those speed humps weren't quite doing their jobs?

3 comments:

Nathan said...

I'm with you guys on not liking bike lanes. I prefer a wide lane or a multi-lane road.

The one left-sided lane I've used (on Hennepin) seems pretty nice, though - keeps cyclists out of the door zone and out where drivers seem more likely to see us. I've read some complaints that it ends abruptly, dumping you into a normal lane, but I didn't have any problems with it - I just moved right when I had the chance.

Funknuggets said...

If you guys want to see a joke, see St. Louis for its "bike lanes" and their "share the road" signs. They are always on the most heavily travelled arteries and have zero shoulder and are the most pitted, pock marked roads you could imagine. So, in St. Louis... like I do here in KC, I try and find the roads less travelled. But then again KC is more spread out and has such roads...

Anonymous said...

Chicago has the "v"'s you speak of but has plenty of the same bike lanes. In fact the V's are hard to come by and some motorists don't respect them.

I hate bike lanes for exactly the same reason and ride the white line all the time since there are hardly any lanes that aren't right next to parked cars.