Friday, June 03, 2005

Random Musings from a Random Day

At work I helped the AIDS ride riders (it just sounds better than "AIDS riders") prepare for tomorrow's flight. One guy had trouble installing his computer, so I fixed it. He wanted help with his front derailleur. It wouldn't shift into to largest ring. I told him it was the limit screw, but I don't touch derailleurs. It is seriously bad karma- for me and everyone involved. There isn't a single part on a fixed gear I won't touch- but I won't allow myself to work on my road bike's derailleurs. Either one. Of course it was the limit screw, and they fixed it in short order at Erik's. I told this guy to ditch his SAE hex wrenches. I cringed as he said they worked on his seat clamp. I told him all he needed was a metric set and a 15mm wrench for his pedals. I'll bet anything he uses a crescent wrench.

One of the women needed help packing her bike in a Performance hardshell bike case. I used the Trico Iron case before, but this was a bit different and a little weird. It had a hard plastic insert, rather than soft foam (or whatever the proper word is) to separate the wheels from the frame. I heard the case's owner wants to sell it. I might be interested, but it is a funky design.

The bike's drivetrain was a travesty, an affront to cleanliness here and abroad. I think they lubed her chain with 10W 40 motor oil, or tar. I was filthy as a sanitation worker as I disconnected the SRAM powerlink. I managed to grease my work clothing as well. The real irony is that I have the same chain on one of my fixed gears, and I STILL cannot disconnect the powerlink on that bike, despite numerous epithets in a variety of languages. The other fixed gear and the single speed have the gold connector, which is very easy to use. I could probably accidentally disconnect one of those.

I raise the filth issue because my commuter seems to require constant chain lubrication. I use dry lube on my road bike, and the drivetrain is clean enough to eat off. Of course, it doesn't see the kind of all-weather duty that the commuter bikes see. The question at hand is whether to use an oil based lube that won't wash away so easily. But at what price? I really don't want to cultivate a sludge collection. Yes, I know I wrote about this issue this morning, but I am seeing it in a different light after handling this bike. And, I am a man obsessed. My hands are still dirty.

My ride home was pure heaven. The wind was almost at my back- a rarity, since I ride west, and a bit south, but mostly west. I took a slightly different route to avoid the Ford Bridge. I still made it home within an hour and fifteen minutes. Best of all, I didn't feel beat, and I've had a lot of miles this week. Then again, I didn't fight a head wind the entire commute. I wonder how much faster I could ride if I had gears.

On the way home, I encountered an odd fellow on a road bike with a BMX helmet. He wasn't particularly young, either. It is a discomfiting sight, and it made me contemplate using a Vikings football helmet for my commutes. It might be a bit warm in this heat, but cars might think twice before trying anything stupid- especially if I carried a huge samurai sword on my back. Perhaps some lead pipe nun chucks strapped to the top tube as homage to Napoleon Dynamite? Actually, I had a very uneventful ride home, and motorists were very respectful. When I consider what I tiny percentage of my miles involves rude or aggressive drivers, it really is no big deal. I suffer more indignities in my car. Thank you, drivers of the Twin Cities! I shall sing your praises in states afar.

Finally, I cut my hair tonight... or rather had it cut at the Juut down the street. The salon is maybe a mile from here. I drove. I didn't want to be a sweaty mess. My car useage is backwards. I only seem to drive for the short trips. Edina's finest were out in full force for their after work speed trap. No wonder their property taxes are so low.

2 comments:

Funknuggets said...

dude, seriously funny. You remember back in the 90s, they had these bell helmets with these wrap around visors that went around your eyes and face. Classic, and I feel like a tard right now for wearing my MTN helmet while Im waiting for Bell to comply on its warranty replacement. I always thought a six shooter with a bandolier full of bullets would be classy!!!

Funknuggets said...

dude, seriously funny. You remember back in the 90s, they had these bell helmets with these wrap around visors that went around your eyes and face. Classic, and I feel like a tard right now for wearing my MTN helmet while Im waiting for Bell to comply on its warranty replacement. I always thought a six shooter with a bandolier full of bullets would be classy!!!