Thursday, June 23, 2005

Win, Win, Win Situation

We bought a bike case yesterday.

Before I get into that, I must invoke a flashback to last August when we traveled to Norway for a few weeks. We traveled there several times in the past to see her family, but I hadn't ridden a bike of any type there. To be fair, our travels had generally been in the winter. I wanted to ride this time.

I knew that NWA allowed bikes to travel internationally for free as checked luggage, and that they sold bike boxes at the airport. I inquired at roadbikereview.com about the quality of the boxes, and some local lurker delurked to ask if I simply wanted to borrow his Trico Iron case. He was even willing to leave it in his backyard for me to pickup. I was uncomfortable with that, and felt that I'd at least like him to meet me face to face before parting with a case that cost at least $250. At any rate, I borrowed the case and took a fixed gear to Norway. Since we were staying mostly on a very small island, I had to take the ferry to the mainland to do any serious riding, but I had a great time exploring the area.

Anyway, when the crew from work was planning for the California ride, they asked me about bike cases. I suggested they post an inquiry online, and three out of the four were offered cases for free on loan. The other was "rented" a case for $50 for the trip. One of the women mentioned that the man she borrowed her case from was interested in selling his. I had packed her bike in the case, and it was practically new. It was a Performance Bike case that had an actual latch, rather than the Trico style using straps. It was a actually a bit smaller than the Trico, but it worked fine. My coworker gave me the contact info, and the price was right. Additionally, my wife actually recommended buying it.

I contacted the seller by email. We agreed on a price. My coworker had the case at work and had been planning on dropping it off after work with a small gift to show her appreciation for him loaning the case to her. I ended up giving her a check to give to him and took the case. In the end, she had a free case for a week and helped him finally sell it.

The real issue of course is not the sale of the case, but the generosity of complete strangers when it comes to biking.

No comments: