Monday, June 27, 2005

What State Road Race?

I missed the State RR on Saturday- by design. We have relatives staying with us, and we headed out of town to a cabin for the weekend. Summer has just begun and already the road races are finished for the season, unless I count the Wisconsin races. I don't understand this. We live in Minnesota. Why are the bulk of the races in the ungodly month of April?

I raced one Wisport event two years ago at the urging of a friend. I will never race another. They are not governed by US Cycling, so they tend to attract a different element. Plenty of experienced racers still show up, but there are plenty of participants whose only goal is to finish the race. They don't break the race up into categories, so there can literally be a thousand races on the course. The Firehouse 50 felt extremely dangerous the year I rode it (I've never seen so many crashes) so I skipped 2004- when a rider actually died. Of course, last year it was scheduled the same day as the state criterium, so I would have missed it anyway.

I'd like to think I had more fun at the cabin anyway. There is more to life than biking and racing, although there are times I need to remind myself of that fact.

3 comments:

Sascha said...

Wait! I know the answer to this one!

Do you know how hot it was Saturday? It's only going to get hotter. You want to race in 90 degrees and 80% humidity in July and August? Please just kill me now. I don't even want to *think* about it.

filtersweep said...

Better that than the hypothermic conditions of April... or all the rain races.

You probably make a good point.

Sascha said...

I kept wondering why the road race season ends in June here and finally figured it out after last Saturday.

But you are also right. I was a sopping wet frozen popsickle after the Velo Bella Withrow time trial. I'm not sure there's a good answer.

Maybe there actually isn't an end to things. Maybe one of the teams needs to move their sponsored events or sponsor another event later in the summer...