Saturday, January 14, 2006

Daily Update

Washington and Seatle are playing. I think it is live, but I am afraid to check online, lest I spoil it.

The weather was miserable today- a cold misty rain. I contemplated a ride, but I still feel run down. I still need a cassette (or a new rain bike). I guess it isn't the end of the world skipping two weeks of riding. I made it out to Kvadrat, the largest mall in Norway to buy a new pair of shoes. I needed something between my casual shoes and my suit shoes. I picked up a cool pair for half price- only 299 kr. I thought back to how meticulously my father maintained his shoes- even had them resoled or half-soled by a rather odd shoe repairman in my hometown. Today shoes are basically disposable. I am sure shoe repairmen will be extinct in a few short years. These shoes look more European, which is odd considering the pair they replaced were made in Italy.

After shopping, I picked Lise up from work. I was struck by how dry and nice the weather was, and I lamented not riding. By the time we made it home, it was wet and windy again. We ate a quick dinner and went to see the Narnia Chronicals at the downtown Stavanger theater. It was a multiplex, but the screen we watched it on had velvet seats, a balcony, and if I'm not mistaken, a stage. It looked like an old-school theater from the US that had its roots in vaudeville. The weather was dry and warm as we drove home, until we hit our hill. It was rainy again. Then it hit me. Maybe there is some weather effect with this big bump we live on. It doesn't seem like that much of a hill, and we don't live at the top, but when I bike up it, it isn't unusual for my heart rate to hit 180. Of course I am not in prime shape at the moment, but my point is, it does take a little effort- and I'm not talking about attacking it- just making it up. Then again, I can't shift. Which brings me right back where I started in this post.

No comments: