Thursday, January 19, 2006

Imagine

Imagine traveling with almost-strangers, in a foreign country, then attending a day of seminars in a foreign language, going to a business dinner with a bunch of clients you just met, then spend the next day going to a series of business meetings (just the owner and I) where the meetings are were in Norwegian.

Imagine a budget airline where there are no assigned seats- like a bus (but unlike a Norwegian movie theater). Imagine your return flight is cancelled because there were not enough passengers- and waiting two hours for the next flight.

Imagine sleeping in a hotel where they have one twin bed.

I had a great trip, actually. It was nice to get away, but it was non-stop work.

We no longer have a car, so I bused to work. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier- it is practically door-to-door service with no transfers.

It snowed like crazy last night. It snowed in Oslo, and I was thinking how nice it looked. Unfortunately it followed me home.

3 comments:

Hjalti said...

It's easy to imagine, because I've been in similar situations while working in Japan, but it is hard to imagine moving somewhere to live that way open-ended. I always knew I'd be living in confusion for a fixed amount of time, with a lot of contact with other US co-workers. I'm really enjoying following your adventure.

Becky said...

Did you have to SHARE the bed?

filtersweep said...

No- at least we had separate rooms.