Monday, January 09, 2006

Now for something completely different

The other night I was watching Seinfeld. It is on nightly at 9pm. I wasn't overly enamored with the syndicated run when it was in the US, but for some reason, I am really getting into it now. The other night the Handicapped Spot episode was on, and a different actor was playing George's father. I was shocked at this trivial detail, so I looked into it online. I discovered on wikipedia that there was a different actor, John Randolf, that played Frank Costanza, but that the episodes were later reshot with Jerry Stiller. However, the original episodes are still shown in international syndication. In the process of reading about these trivial details, I read that Elaine originally called Kramer a "hipster doofus," which shows the shortcomings of wikipedia. I had just seen that episode, and it was a handicapped woman who uttered the comment. With wiki, I was able to correct the article, and it still stands. As an additional footnote, I discovered a site that contains the scripts to all the episodes (supporting that the handicapped woman indeed coined the phrase). I am convinced some nutty fan manually transcribed all of these. Of course, in tonight's episode, Elaine called Kramer a hipster doofus after she was convinced she had rabies in The Glasses episode.

No comments: