Saturday, January 14, 2006

Lost In Translation

Things are starting to make more sense at work. I just found out on Thursday that I am part of the management team- which I believe consists of the owner and one or two others. This helps explain things. Additionally, I discovered this morning that the name of the office complex literally translates to "knowledge park," which is a cool concept. Yesterday I found out the reason the food is so reasonably priced is because it is subsidized by the employers in the building. At the point of sale, we pay using our ID/security card. It has a smartchip that we load with money using a bank card in a machine outside the "kantina." It took me forever to figure out how to use it, since the instructions were wrong (this time it was not my lack of understanding of the language). Next week I travel of Oslo for two days. The rest of my time is being spent preparing for a tradeshow in Germany.

I really, really like the work atmosphere- everyone is very helpful and friendly. I have heard no negative words from employees. Most of the people are computer people who keep their noses in their work and out of other people's business. It is a small company without an overdeveloped management structure, so there are no turf battles, no office politics, no one undermining anyone's efforts. This was something of a minefield that I needed to carefully negotiate at my last jobs- since both seemed to have plenty of cloak and dagger office drama. I don't miss that at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You found a really good job and, most important, you are happy there. Good luck and enjoy your business trips to other countries.
Millie