Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Sixty Miles and What Do You Get?

Earlier I put in 60 miles with two riding buddies. It had been over a year since I rode with one of the guys. The weather was perfect. Right before the ride I swapped out the SLR saddle for a Fizik Pave. I had to lower it slightly, since the SLR had no padding, and the Pave is a normal saddle. I hate making adjustments to my ride. It makes me completely paranoid. I met one friend on the Greenway, and we rode out to the other guy's place in St. Louis Park. I noticed he had numerous upgrades. He said he had a professional fitting, and they raised his saddle TWO INCHES. He said all pain and discomfort are gone. Great! Now I was really paranoid. Anyway, I had a comfortable ride and no fit or adjustment issues. We rode around Minnetonka, Plymouth, Orono, and wherever we were. I felt great afterward and was surprised we rode that far. My Polar reported that I burned 3000 calories on that ride. I never really trust those things, since I should have blown away by now.

60 miles and no irate motorists. 60 miles and no flat tires. 60 miles and no rain.

2 comments:

Funknuggets said...

good to see your saddle issues were not taxing. Bizarre. I ride a LOOK too! I'll let you know how LOWERING mine works. Im commuting to and from work tomorrow, so Ill have plenty of time to play around with the saddle to relieve some pressure on the hammies.

You know, I think the heart of the problem is the Look Ergopost I have. It has three holes that you can move fore aft, and when I was opening it up to replace the saddle, the bolt fell completely out and despite my best attempts, I could not figure out which hole it was in. So I picked the middle one and have been trying to adjust ever since... ugh. So now, Im trying to determine if the issue is my positioning or my lack of fitness... my hams still hurt from MONDAY.

I was pretty happy with slugging in 70 miles on monday on flats with decent rollers averaging 20.8 with some of the areas "big boys", er or well, two 2's and several 3's. I never ride with the 1s.

filtersweep said...

I have the Ergopost as well, and it is a bear to adjust. It seems I need to predict where the saddle angle will be when it is fully tightened, since it usually shifts as it is tightened. It has also come loose on a few occasions. I think the design flaw is with the odd shaped nut that doesn't always properly seat on the clamp.

I'm using the middle hole in the post, but I think I do it for aesthetic reasons as much as anything. The post actually seems to have quite a bit of setback- even in the front-most bolt hole.

Good luck tomorrow!