Monday, July 11, 2005

Hopkins Criterium

This crit combined the Masters 4/5 with the 50+ race. Combined- meaning that everyone started together. The 50+ race was open- meaning that it didn't matter what category a racer was. We started with a cartoonishly large field, maybe 50 or 60 riders. The course itself was about .8 kilometers long- maybe a half mile. By 9:30am, it was already very hot and humid.

Have I set the stage for my excuses yet? Here's what happened: it started out screamingly fast. Usually there is a bit of a roll-out for a crit, particularly with such a huge field. The speed did not relent. I followed the wheel of a guy from LSC that I knew to be a very strong rider. I believe he was the top ranked rider in his class prior to this race. The course was rather wide and easy, and I remember last year that I could take the corners with no braking. Unfortunately, with such a huge field, the accordion effect was in full force, and I had to sprint out of each corner at 30+ mph. With such a small course, I had no recovery time, and my lack of training and targeted preparation began to take its toll. I was getting cooked. And then it happened. I was caught behind a crash on the far side of the course.

The crash interrupted things just enough so a few of us lost contact with the main pack. I was with a strong rider from Birchwood, and we worked together to pick up a few stragglers, including the guy from LSC. What we didn't know was occurring was that there was a breakaway that was closing in on us as we were chasing the main group. Eventually we were pulled.

I found out later that 2/3 of the field was pulled, according to another blog I read. Also, Charlie Townsend was the winner of 50+, and I believe he came in first overall. I don't know what category he races, but under ordinary circumstances I would never be in the same race with Charlie. I'm sure his participation really helped drive the tempo into the stratosphere.

At least I was in good company when I was pulled. There is another race Tuesday, from a series that is usually a suffer fest for me. Something to definitely look forward to. I now remember how burned out on racing I was last year in mid-July.

No comments: