Monday, July 18, 2005

Retro Rider

I took an early Sunday recovery ride- not that I'm recovering from anything substantial, but it was already hot, and I wanted to keep some legs for Rosemount Tuesday. I took the Prologue out with the 16 tooth cog. This pretty much limited me to a high cadence and low speed- virtually eliminating any possibility of me becoming a hammerhead. I was uninspired, so I took the Greenway to the trail along the LRT. I encountered a misplaced pair of road bikers who had no idea what routes went where, so I lead them on a little loop along the river, then back to the entrance of the Cedar Lake Trail in downtown.

Riding a bit further, I encountered an older man, probably in his 70s, in great shape, on a very vintage touring bike. He commented on my bike and we struck up a conversation where he recounted bicycling all over europe with his sons last year. He was very interesting, and it was refreshing to encounter another end of the biking spectrum. Ponce De Leon had it completely wrong: cycling brings us to the Fountain of Youth.

No comments: