Friday, July 22, 2005

TGIF

I woke up before the alarm this morning- 5:15. I was in an inexplicably sour mood, and my day had not even begun. I checked the weather online. Last night the forecast was for scattered showers this morning. As I refreshed the web page, the forecast for rain was magically transformed into a "partly cloudy" forecast. My excuse to drive was suddenly shattered, and I reluctantly trudged into action. Compounding my ennui was the fact that it is noticeably darker in the morning.

Anyway, I saddled up and took off. The roads were very quiet- almost deserted. I was feeling like my commute was very desolate- certainly not like taking the freeway during peak rush hour traffic. As I silently approached the Ford factory, I noticed a doe and two young deer hanging out on the factory lawn. While this was across the street from the Mississippi River, it was an odd juxtaposition, considering what a sprawling industrial antithesis to nature lay beyond the factory fence. Seeing them completely changed my mood.

The rest of the commute seemed to change with my mood. Two older guys who looked like white-haired mafia dons were walking along the path, and both waved at me. I saw more bikes out than I've ever seen during a morning commute, and most smiled and waved at me. The same guy that I always see drinking a Pepsi and reading the paper on a picnic table by the river was positioned as usual. Finally, my one-eared rabbit friend was in his usual spot by Highway 61. I even caught all greens to effortlessly cross I94. This should be a great day.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

:) Just reading this post has risen my spirits!

There have been days where I didn't feel like heading out on the bike. But I've never been sorry that I jumped on and did it anyway.