Friday, July 15, 2005

RAGBRAI

This year, my parents are actually involved in RAGBRAI. It stops, as in camps out, in my hometown. This is a first. Other years it has passed through, but this year it stops overnight. Since the town is three miles from the Minnesota border and it rarely camps out in a town this small, my guess is it will never occur again. This, of course, means my wife and I must ride.

I have a real ambivalence about RAGBRAI. I've always believed it was more of a party on wheels than about biking, but I've already shed much of my purist roots, and am willing to approach this with an open mind. Something about sharing the road with 10,000 other riders makes me somewhat apprehensive. I should probably mention that we are only riding one day. I've taken far too much time off to take an entire week. I'm also too misanthropic to enjoy spending a week in such close quarters with thousands of other riders. I had the misfortune of racing in the Firehouse 50 a few years ago- a mass start race with about a thousand racers. I've also ridden the Lakeville Ironman a few times, which draws maybe 3000 riders. At times, it was worse than riding in heavy traffic. I can't imagine the scale as it approaches 10,000 people.

Last time RAGBRAI passed through town, one of the big wigs from the Register sampled my mother's pecan pie, and wrote an article insisting it was the best pie of the entire ride. People from all over the country wrote to ask for her secret recipe. She was inexplicably left out as an official pie baker this year- probably due to small-town politics. Also, the town has only about 2000 residents. RAGBRAI apparently requires about 2500 volunteers- so everyone is involved. Already they have enlisted help from law enforcement from all over the area. Somehow, "Barney" and his lone sidekick won't be able to provide campground security for thousands of riders.

I'm seriously contemplating riding the 85 miles fixed. I don't even want to worry about my Look. Our day of riding is the day after a local crit, and a few days before the State Championship Criterium. I'll want to take it a bit easy anyway.

3 comments:

Funknuggets said...

Ive always wondered about that and considered riding it purely for the spectacle and a decent way to get some miles in. Is there a limit to the miles every day? So, once you do the 120 miles or whatever, you are done and just sit around and drink beer? Sounds fun to me. I may give that one a whirl next year.

filtersweep said...

I think a lot of the beer drinking also goes on DURING the ride.

They have a quota for the number of full-week riders (including the ubiquitous lottery)- but offer all sorts of day passes.

Our day is only 85 miles- which is just as well.

Sascha said...

I've done Ragbrai twice and consumed 0 beer the first year and 2 beers the second year--both in camp from private stores. You couldn't pay me money to drink budweiser. It can be a big party on wheels. There is drinking in every town and there is always a big party in the last pass through town before the overnight town.

If you don't use official facilities and don't plan to use the sag (I say, death before sag), then you don't have to register. Our team bus was always registered but we arranged ahead of time to camp on people's lawns and the back of the bus was modified and a shower built in with a hot water take heated by the bus's pipes when it drove from one town to the next.

It doesn't have to be a party though. We just rode our asses off, grazed our way across the state and had a good time without alcohol for the most part.