Saturday, August 06, 2005

Donut Man

Minnesota Plate: MNW162 (I might have the letter mixed up, but not the numbers) Light colored SUV, "Large build," mid to late 40s, reddish blonde hair, foul-mouthed, moustache, donut eater.

I often wonder what happens to school-yard bullies as they grow older. I originally wasn't going to post this, but I was buzzed again on Minnehaha Parkway near Cedar. The driver unkindly suggested that I ride on the sidewalk. He was quite a potty-mouth, considering his wife was with him. I caught up to him at Cedar and caught a good look at his face. I then noticed his vehicle parked at the bakery a few blocks further east. There were no other cars around at 6:30am. There was no mistaking his actions.

At this point, I realized it was the same man who buzzed me a few months ago. Last time he drove a green Ford- possibly a Taurus. He had the same M.O. He buzzed me a little further east on the same road, same time of day, and he stopped at the same bakery. I really do not want to play his dangerous game. I'm am quite sure the police won't do anything. Any response I do will only provoke him.

I think I'll start carrying my camera on all my commutes. I'll post a few pictures of him. What else can I do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carry a pair of binoculars and pad/pen instead.

By the time you get the camera out, the L plate will be too far away.

filtersweep said...

Actually- I did get his plates. I was thinking about photographing HIM and his vehicle when he hits the donut shop- as is his routine.

Sui Generis said...

Report it anyway. The police won't do anything now, but it will be on his file when he gets into trouble in the future. Plus, if other cyclists, pedestrians or motorists file independant complaints, then the cops might take action.

hereNT said...

Carry a knife and let the air out of his tires while he's in the donut shop? Leave a copy of the laws pertaining to bikes under his windshield wipers?

There's a ton of things you can do...

filtersweep said...

I phoned the police from work. They called back later in the evening and left a message that I'd have to call when it happened. These days, police won't even respond to an accident unless there are injuries, so I don't expect much.

I'm leaning toward posting a few photos of his face as he walks out of the donut shop next time- and a photo of his vehicle, and leaving it at that. Fantasies of property destruction can be fun, but it would only make things worse, and it really isn't my style.

An anonymous responder ran the plate number, and came back with a name and address in south Minneapolis, which should assist me in filing an actual complaint with the DMV.