Sunday, August 28, 2005

No Time for Frivolity

It is that time of year again. Friday I car pooled with my wife, rather than endure the driving rain. It has been quite some time since I've seen rain like that during a morning rush hour. At least I saved a trip to work. Yesterday I worked for the County, which required use of my car, so that was a non-issue. I sold an extra bike to a coworker yesterday- for a very fair price. We are down to six bikes. We plan to sell one of my wife's bikes as well, bringing us down to a total of five that need to move, rather than seven.

My moustaches arrived yesterday. I love Ben's Bike out of Milwaukee- they are excellent ebayers, and I highly recommend them. I might fool around with them today. With all my commuting as of late, I can hardly bring myself to take a recreational ride. Racing is finished, and just riding around seems almost pointless. At this point in the year, it is about transportation. My legs feel like wood after the 200+ miles ridden last week- all of it fixed gear. I would argue that it is more equivalent to 300 miles on a geared bike that coasts. My commute keeps my heart rate more in the fat-burning zone- not that I have much fat to begin with, but it is quite different than interval training that I try to keep up with during the race season. The irony is that I end up looking leaner and meaner well after April, when I could have really used it. Of course, this time of year I end up being like a diesel engine- all endurance with no top end. It is amazing how quickly anaerobic power can be lost, while overall fitness and conditioning can remain constant. But again, I have nowhere to ride. Maybe I can scare up some errands? I'm feeling the need for a purpose.

Today we plan to put a bunch of junk up for sale on ebay and craig's list. I'm bracing myself for the onslaught of Nigerians interested in my for local pick-up only household items.

No comments: