Saturday, August 27, 2005

Plotting and Scheming

The great debate continues. I sold my city/path bike to a coworker- one less bike to move. I never used that bike much. It was practically new. So I'm moving the rack to the Frankenbike. I'm contemplating panniers. Just dragging a six pack of beer to class the other night in a back pack was a bit of a, well, pain in the back.

Or, I'm comtemplating "touring shoes." My Duegi mountainbike shoes are walkable, but they are a little loud for polite company. I'm thinking maybe something a bit more discreet for trips to the store, errands, etc. Or, maybe I should by some hightop hiking boot-style mountain bike shoes. They would be a bit warmer in the winter. I wonder how waterproof they are.

Or, I should buy a less flashy, non-racing helmet. I currently have a Selev and Limar- neither of which I'd want locked to my bike. I should probably buy something less expensive for everyday errands. Of course in Europe, I'll look like a chicken-little even wearing a helmet.

If not a helmet, maybe I need better rain gear. Stavanger isn't the driest city on the planet. I plan to learn to love the rain. Rain isn't bad if I'm prepared. I am definitely not prepared for cold, winter rain- but hey, it is better than snow.

Finally, I need to figure out how to ship my bike so it is waiting for me when I arrive. 45 days is a long wait. I almost think it would be cheaper to buy a bike and sell it when my other bikes arrive. We experienced quite a debacle a year ago when a friend asked that we ship a baby jogger for her. The cost was outrageous through standard channels. We ended up using a shipping agent out of New Jersey.

The last thing I need right now is more stuff. Especially items that we'll fly with, rather than ship.

2 comments:

hereNT said...

You really prefer cold winter rain to snow? I've always liked snow, since you could just brush it off at the end of the ride... Maybe that's just me.

We should get together and do a recreational ride sometime when I get back from Chicago - I was actually thinking of doing Freewheel's Thurs night ride... I'm off all the way through Labor day, so drop me a line if you have time...

Anyways, I should probably get off of the internet and go explore Chicago!

filtersweep said...

I hope you are having fun in Chicago.

A buddy helps lead the Freewheel ride- I've yet to do it, but would welcome it. I'd probably need gears, but who knows? I work late every other Thursday- like this Thurs. We can hook up any time for a ride.

You are right about snow- except that I'd rather ride in water than slippery snow/slush. No... actually, I'm really not looking forward to the climate at all. I'm in thorough denial. It should be more temperate in Stavanger- warmer in the winter- and I have to find what little optimistic glimpses that I can.