Thursday, August 11, 2005

Writing My Own Obituary

I'm relocating abroad- in more than two months! As a courtesy to my employer, I spoke to my "supervisor"- the owner- last week to give her the "heads up." I didn't quote a date. I asked her to keep it quiet, since it is stressful enough dealing with everything without having to handle an interrogation from co-workers.

Earlier this week I informed a peer who will be greatly affected. Yesterday the owner called us into her office to discuss my exit strategy- to establish a plan for finding my replacement. I hated the conversation. I cannot imagine anyone else doing my job. I can hardly accept the reality that the company will function without me, although certainly it will. I really felt like I was at my own funeral.

Next week I'll announce at the admin meeting that I'm leaving. My wife suggested we hold a press conference- but accept no questions. I'm beginning to warm up to that idea.

2 comments:

annie said...

hey, thanks for the roadbikereview forum publicity. Just checked my statcounter and I have like 896123844151 hits from that alone. lol. I spent SO long looking online for pictures of a mullet guy in tight cutoffs riding a bike, but that picture of the guy on the tiny girl's bike was the best I could do after frittering away at least 4 otherwise billable hours......

filtersweep said...

The irony is the lack of responses to the post at RBR...