Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Why Don't I Ever Learn

I woke up at 5:30 this morning- out of habit if nothing else. I usually need to wait until about 6:15 before there is enough light to ride to work. I could put my headlight back on, but why bother? Anyway, I added a front brake to the moustache bars and rode the black mystery bike to work. Half-way to work I really wasn't grooving on the bars- they were causing substantial hand pain. Thankfully, my comfort resumed with a simple adjustment. I also discovered all my chain ring bolts had worked their way loose, so I tightened them up. I can't figure out why this happens all the time. Happiness is a silent drive train.

I immersed myself in work, reworking the presentation I'll be giving in a few weeks in Mankato. I'm really comfortable with this type of project. It feels like old-school college homework to me. With everything going on right now, I like the task-oriented nature of this type of project. There are several people on vacation this week that I have to cover for. It was a miracle that I was able to accomplish anything today.

From work I phoned One-On-One to inquire about buying a recycled quill stem for Lise's commuter. I used what I had- and the shortest stem was still too long for her comfort. They told me I could stop by and scrounge around in the basement bone yard. If you've never been there, you should really check it out. It is one of the most surreal locations in Minneapolis.

After work I rode toward downtown Minneapolis, carefully plotting the flattest route. There are days where I tire of riding fixed all the time. Yesterday my down tube friction shifters arrived. They are old Shimano 600 clamp-ons that look faux-ornate, like an 1800s pistol handle. All I need now is a chain, and probably a rear brake, and maybe a rear wheel? I can still rock the 16 tooth cog- spin a little more often and warm up to the moustache bars. In my haste this morning, I gave them a totally ghetto tape job, using remnants from maybe three or four rolls of tape. I'll toss on the non-aero levers when I fully "un-convert" it.

During my ride I happened to pass a few roadies on Mississippi Boulevard. I really wasn't trying to be a hammerhead- especially given my low gearing today. I don't think it goes over very well to be passed by my Snidely Whiplash bike. Perhaps as it cools I can wear a top hat and tux with tails. Eventually I made it downtown to One-On-One-- and found that they were closed: "Out riding." I can't fault them for riding on such a nice day, but this is yet another irritation experience I've had with them.

My first experience was when I wanted to replace my old single pivot brake with a dual pivot. The guy suggested my real problem was cable compression, and he suggested that I actually use derailleur housing. Maybe it would work, but everything I've ever read acts like you'll die a violent, slow, painful death if you attempt such folly, since the steel housing isn't coiled. Rather, the housing is basically held together by the plastic, whereas on a brake housing, the plastic merely serves to protect the bike's finish. He seemed to avoid selling me anything- like how I try to discourage people from buying guitars from me.

That bizarre experience was corrected when I scored a great deal on a 600 crank set for the Prologue. They were, however, busy haranguing other customers at the time. Today they decided to close early. Makes sense to me- makes more sense than being open until 7 when they are located downtown. But while I don't understand them, I'm glad they are around. They are like the Bahá'í Temple of bike shops. Thusly discouraged from seeking a quill stem from them, I'll turn to my old friend, ebay.

No comments: