Friday, August 26, 2005

Long Week

Today's commute home was exhausting. It was mostly into the wind. I took a break and flipped the wheel so I could take it easy with the 16 tooth cog. Hopefully I can also ride tomorrow- weather permitting. This would be the first full week of commuting by bike. I'll have saved 200 miles on my car.

Last night I also biked to my Norwegian class. We actually have the summer off, but we still get together and mostly drink beer and converse in Norglish- that odd combination of speaking Norwegian until stumped by an unknown word. The class really brings a diverse and interesting group together- of people I otherwise wouldn't associate with. I'm one of the youngest students. We've been together for at least three years. Last night we met near Lake Nokomis. I followed the Parkway home in the dark- and it was very dark. This morning I noticed they had been working on the street lights. I really love riding at night. The city is so quiet, except for the frogs and crickets by the creek. My Niterider light system really does its job, and its name reminds me of the original Mad Max movie.

Today's training went very well. All the feedback was very positive. I don't proclaim any expert status, and it always worries me that I'll encounter some ringer with more initials after his name who knows more than I do. On the other hand, it sharpens my public speaking skills- the only way possible, and I actually enjoy the challenge of "being out there" and having to think on my feet. Today was a relatively small group. In a few weeks the show goes on the road and I train out of town. I think it is a package deal where some company pays $750 or $1000 or something like that for three hours. I wish all of my time were billable at that rate. All my down time that I put into developing this curriculum has really paid off- for the company at least. I have no idea what they will do with this after I leave.

No comments: