Friday, September 23, 2005

Bad Air

Last night I added strips of reflective tape that I purchased at www.flighthelmet.com. They seem to have the best deal on 3M Scotchlite tape. Despite their check-out info, shipping was only $2. I've been a little uncomfortable with riding a stealthy black bike with a bunch of blinkies.

It was cold this morning- the coldest morning so far. Summer truly is over. I think the temp was in the 40s. I wore glove liners under my regular gloves, knee warmers, arm warmers, a vest, and the usual. What was different was that I didn't need to stop to disrobe. I don't know how I'll be able to handle the real cold. I reviewed my bike log, and was surprised how much winter riding I did last year. I'll need to dig deep for cold motivation.

I've been riding so much lately that all the commutes are starting to blur together. To mix it up a bit, I rode through Fort Snelling and took the Highway 5 bridge, rather than the Ford Bridge. I smelled much more exhaust fumes today. I don't know what it is about cold weather, but it seems that it amplifies the smell. Today it was bad all the way to work. I guess I could purchase one of those particle masks for commuters that they sell at Performance, but I'd also need to line my helmet with aluminum foil to get the full effect.

I look forward to moving to where the air is clean- blowing off the ocean. I would still like to know what air pollution smells worse in colder temperatures.

5 comments:

annie said...

My dog refused to go outside this morning. He was very excited and ran to the door, but as soon as he poked his head outside he decided it was too cold and he'd rather not. I had to push him out. He's in for a nasty surprise pretty soon, that's for sure.

Funknuggets said...

If Im not mistaken.... has to do with heat rising... in warmer weather the heat from the exhaust and road, mostly moves up, plus it infuses with humidity and either rises or condenses onto surfaces. However, colder air falls as well as holds far less humidity... leaving you with pure exhaust, baybee...

Nathan said...

I am with you all the way on needing to mix routes up. I learned that a few months into commuting by bike when I found myself not excited to get on the bike. I realized I had been taking the same route and simply taking a different route cured my ailin'. :)

Don't worry about the cold - it's no problem. If you feel a little chilly, pedalling harder often does the trick. If it doesn't, add a layer to wherever you were coldest. Eventually you'll have the perfect outfit worked out for every temperature and can tweak it on the road by either removing something or varying your pedalling intensity.

I got through last winter with never more than shoes, wool socks, long-johns, jeans, undershirt, long-sleeved shirt, good windbreaker, good gloves, headband, hat, and helmet. I added a sweatshirt once and got too hot. This is all with a five mile (shortest) commute - I understand people can tend to get cold feet if they go long distances. The number-one thing I learned for preventing cold feet, though, is to keep the shoes tied loose! Too much constriction keeps the warm blood from flowing freely, I guess, and you really feel it!

The Icebike site, especially the mailing list, is very helpful.

Have fun out there! :)

hereNT said...

Man, I wish I had of known you were looking for 3M reflective tape. I've still got a bag full of the stuff I could have given you free. I worked for a company that was putting together the product info binders for the sales reps when the last generation of it came out. They gave us a bunch of sheets of all colors that we popped little .75x1.5" samples out of. There was a bunch of leftover stuff around the outsides that I had the assembly dept keep for me.

I'm out of silver, though. I covered an entire bike in it - dumb idea, especially considering the bike was silver to begin with... Last I heard it had been stripped back to the chrome and was being built up for a university professor...

filtersweep said...

I taped quite conservatively- actually no tape touches any paint. I put some on the cranks, spider, air pump, rack, etc