Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Student Driver

I was enjoying a beautiful, if not windy, ride home after work. My thoughts were obsessing over how to handle the bike/move situation. Do I ride fixed gear with a back pack again while shipping the frankenbike early, so it is waiting for me? Or do I assume my commute will be shorter/easier in Norway, and ship the fixed gear ahead of time? Anyway, I was zipping along Mississippi Boulevard near the curvy section by the Ford plant. I caught the visage of a white car with some huge yellow sign on its hood out of the corner of my eye, in my mirror. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it read "student driver." This shortly became a problem, because this driver simply wouldn't (or wasn't allowed to) pass me. There was plenty of room. Soon there was a long line of vehicles blocked by the student. I could smell trouble. As the road finally straightened out near the Ford Bridge, I hear the cacophony of an engine revving as someone ended up passing several of the vehicles, and of course me. He was screaming at me to ride on the path, waving a finger at me, and acting the part of a complete jack-ass. It wasn't my fault that traffic slowed for mister student. There was plenty of room to pass. Then again, it is always easiest to blame the bike.

Tonight we were stood up by yet another craig's list bike buyer. I am at the point where I simply will not rearrange my schedule to accommodate a tire kicker who likely will be a no-call/no-show. Same thing happened with a potential car buyer over the weekend. I'm ready to charge a $50 missed appointment fee. All it takes is a phone call.

2 comments:

annie said...

Your car is too nice for me, otherwise I would come buy it and not stand you up. Now, if you still had that car you got in 1988, I'd be all over that one.

filtersweep said...

The car I had in '88 was a '77 Malibu- probably considered a classic these days... I'd even be all over that one.