Thursday, September 08, 2005

Rescued

OK, I was riding along Shepard Road enjoying the sun. I was feeling a bit cramped on my bike. This morning I had adjusted the seat a bit- slid it forward. I have an American Classic seatpost- an engineering marvel. My Look's single bolt design was done by Rube Goldberg himself- impossible to adjust without predicting its angle when fully tightened. I've never felt an emotional attachment to a seatpost, but if I did, my amorous affections would solely belong to the AC.

So this afternoon, I stopped by the entrance to Crosby Farms and the Marina to set things right. As I tightened the seat clamp, I kept tightening and tightening. At that point I realized the clamp was stripped. I backed the bolt out, and noticed the threads backing out with it. I was so absorbed in my mad science, that I failed to notice there were a bunch of men sitting in the parked cars along the road. Something was up. I kept fiddling with the seatpost, trying to at least somewhat secure the saddle. A very strange man approached me and asked what was wrong. He reminded me of Maynard from Pulp Fiction. I made polite conversation. After realizing that I'd have no seat to ride on (that it simply would not stay attached to the post), I finally mentioned that I was calling my wife to rescue me. He went back to his Jeep SUV and waited. As I waited, he drove back and forth twice along the frontage road before leaving. Another guy in a pickup truck asked if I needed a lift, which I declined. A Somalian taxi driver walked into a thicket of weeds, disappeared for several minutes, reappeared, then drove away.

My rescurer arrived in short order- especially considering that it was rush hour. I don't know what goes on down there, but it isn't the first time I've noticed this phenomenon during my commute.

When I arrived home, I found another 27.0 seatpost that will get me through until I figure out my next move. AC sells the entire clamp kit for $15. I emailed them to see if it is possible to only purchase the top clamp. I don't want to sound cheap, but I don't need the rest of the parts, and I will soon be unemployed.

3 comments:

annie said...

The Rake did an article on that last year sometime. I've noticed it too, doing hill repeats there, but fortunately I'm the wrong gender for those fellas so they just kind of look at me sideways and go on trying to look innocuous. But you're right, you don't want to accept a ride from those guys.... "ride," heh heh.... okay, I'll stop.

filtersweep said...

That is worse than I could have possibly imagined. That was a great hill for doing repeats.

annie said...

Except for the terrible pavement, yeah. Don't know that I'd want to be a man in spandex there though....