Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Economics 101

Back in my roadie purist days I used CO2 exclusively. After a ride with two flats, when I fortunately had two cartridges, I started carrying a Crank Brothers Power Pump- an ironically named product if there ever was one. (BTW- that is NOT my hand).

After a commute catching four flat tires (turned out it was bad rim tape), I decided I needed heavy artillery. CO2 cartridges aren't free, and the Crank Bros pump takes something like 800 strokes to add maybe 45 lbs or pressure.

I chose the Topeak Road Morph. I purchased it prior to traveling to Norway last year, mainly because it had a gauge. It didn't hurt that it "morphed" into a floor pump.

I later wanted to share the Topeak between two bikes, so I emailed the company and inquired about buying another frame mount. They asked for my address and sent one free of charge.

I thought it would be great to share my NiteRider headlight between two bikes, so I looked into obtaining another handlebar mount. They wanted $15.99 plus postage. It isn't worth it, considering how rarely I use the other bike at night.

Rudy Project is on the fence. Their sunglasses cost a small fortune. Over the years, little parts have fallen off, like the nose pads. In the good old days, they would send a bunch free of charge. I ended up losing a temple piece, and the nose bridge broke when I tried to adjust it. These are now parts that cost money to replace. They still have their excellent scratched lens replacement program.

I still don't understand how American Classic can charge about half the cost of a new post for their clamp repair kit. I should also note the new bolt was just as short as the old bolt. If they designed it with a longer bolt, it would engage more threads, reducing the chance of it stripping out again. Than again, I'm no engineer.

The bottom line is that I swear these companies try to burn the candle at both ends. They want to maintain some semblance of providing service and support- that they can be maintained. They also seem to charge a penalty to those who don't buy a second light, or a new pair of sun glasses, or a new seat post. Topeak, on the other hand, rocks my flat tire world. Aside from making an engineering marvel, they know how to treat their customers.

No comments: