Monday, September 19, 2005

Rainy Monday Morning

I woke up at 4:30am- realizing it was thunder, not my alarm that interrupted my sleep. I looked out the window to see that it was raining. I went back to sleep as the next hour disappeared in an instant. This time my alarm was going off. It was still raining.

I wanted to ride to work, but it is such a production in the rain. It is one thing to ride home, but to ride to work? I'd probably still have wet shoes in the afternoon. I decided to drive. But I still wanted to ride. I perseverated for maybe twenty minutes. I ate breakfast and was ready to shower when Lise started readying for work. It was 6:15. If I left now, I could still be at my desk by 8:00. I quickly dressed for the ride, wearing my new rain jacket and pants.

I had purchased a Gill rain jacket a few weeks ago. This was my first ride. I was quite impressed with it. The rain pants, on the other hand, left much to be desired. I couldn't tell if rain was leaking in, or if was my own sweat condensing inside. As I approached the river, I knew I was overheating. I stopped in a park along the river and removed the jacket, pants, and helmet liner. The rain was almost nonexistent at this point. I found that I was actually warmer without the rain gear than I was a moment ago. I resumed my ride in comfort.

Along Mississippi Boulevard I encountered a commuter riding the other direction with the brightest headlight I'd ever seen on a bike. I don't know what it was, but I wanted one. The rest of my ride was a bit slower and uneventful. I've been working on slowing down a bit during my ride. I'm not training for anything. I've noticed that I've been losing weight lately- probably because my heart rate is a bit lower than when I train during the racing season. Not that I need it, but I wouldn't have minded hauling a few less pounds up some of the hills during the racing season.

I felt like I accomplished something this morning. It is one thing to ride home in the rain when I'm literally forced to ride- but to choose to a wet ride when I have my car in the garage is another matter altogether. This will be a typical day in Stavanger, I'm afraid. Probably not- in reality, but I like to set my expectations very low. That way I'm rarely disappointed.

The sun is already out. I should have a beautiful ride home. I would have regretted driving.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

My attitude towards rain is to wear sandals and carry a change of clothes. Unless it's really coming down, I find riding in the rain very pleasant. Have a great ride home! :)

filtersweep said...

Sandals for cleats?

I've heard others make similar recommendations. One of the most interesting ideas is sandals with kayaking (waterproof) socks. I'm also contemplating taking a pair of overshoes and cutting out the bottoms to contend with biblical rains.

My wife suggests a saying they use in her hometown: there is no such thing as bad weather- only bad clothing. I think it is largely true.

annie said...

mmm, SPD sandals, fashion statement of elderly Bike Friday riders everywhere......