Thursday, October 06, 2005

Car Free Living is Hard Work

I took both panniers to work so I could take my 30lb NYC lock and books for class- and extra clothes, anticipating rain, cold, and civilian clothing. I took Summit to the River to Franklin, shaving precious minutes off my commute to class. It was windy as hell, and I was stuck at work late preparing a brilliant last minute proposal that could well be my crowning signature at this job, if it goes through. I guess a half hour isn't that big of a deal.

I arrived at class with an extra twenty minutes, giving me time to change. As I locked my bike up, the front tire felt very spongey. I decided to ignore it. I was hungry and wandered down Franklin to a convenience store straight out of Natural Born Killers. I purchased some new Black Pepper Doritos and a soda and scarfed them down before class.

After class, I didn't notice my tire was flat until I took off. Wayne couldn't hear me. I pumped up the tire, hoping it would hold out to the bar. When I arrived, Lise and Wayne were locking up their bikes. It was super cool for Lise to ride down, given the freezing wind.

Afterwards I changed the tube. I never did figure out what caused the flat. Lise and I had a great ride home.

No comments: