Monday, October 17, 2005

Days Are Numbered

My last day is a week from tomorrow. My replacement is studying for a licensing exam, so she is off today and tomorrow- and tomorrow is my big going away party for my full-time job. I hope it doesn't turn into a maudlin, emotional, "farewell party."

Saturday my coworkers from the Crisis Unit threw a party for me. I was lucky it was held at a coworker's house, maybe a mile away, so that we could bike. It was a cool party, but I felt very saddened and alone afterwards. I probably didn't drink enough. It was the first time my wife met most of my coworkers, although I've talked about them for years. I think she really understood what I'd be missing. One of my coworkers described his relationship to me that I was like a younger brother to him. In many senses this is true, as he really helped mentor me over the years. They are truly quality people.

I especially love that job. I feel very connected to it. My supervisor from fourteen years ago works there, as do the two people who interviewed and hired me at my full-time job. Obviously having those connections made it a bit easier to work for the County. I guess what affected me the most is that I have known those three people the entire time I've lived in Minneapolis. They literally watched me "grow up" from the 22 year old, just out of college "kid" that I truly was at the time.

Also, regarding the Crisis Unit: I am not a social worker. I've never taken a social work class. I took one psychology course in college. I am not licensed. I have no credentials. None of that mattered. I could do the job and was hired. Actually, I was "recruited," since it was a part-time job. Oddly, many other part-timers have come and gone over the years. It is the sort of job where people either "get it" or they don't. There was little training. The vast majority of hires never could cut it. I ended up being hired as permanent part time, rather than as flex. I ended up with a regular schedule- working an average of 6 hours per week.

Of course, over the years I've taken that job for granted, and the genuineness of the friendships I've developed. I don’t expect to instantly have friends of this caliber when we move. I am also a little concerned that friends like this may be unique to the type of work involved. Most of us share the same political leanings. We work in an industry that is not driven by profit in any sense of the word. This isn’t Office Space I’m talking about. Then again, it isn’t like I’ll never see these people again. It isn’t like we’ve spent much time socializing outside of work. The thing is, it is just wonderful knowing they are there. I will miss that.

No comments: