Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Shipping a Bike


I may truly be crazy. I spent a good deal of time lovingly packaging and boxing up the Prologue. I will be mailing this bike to Norway so I have wheels when I arrive. I almost think I should have packed up the other bike, since it has panniers and gears. It is doubtful that I’ll be commuting much in the next week- I am incredibly busy. What is truly crazy is that the Prologue was one man’s trash before its rescue and subsequent rehabilitation.

I borrowed a friend’s truck on Monday so I could pick up some boxes. I went to Freewheel and was basically told to dumpster dive in their recycling bin. I found several decent bike boxes for the three bikes that won’t have hard cases. I even found a few wheel boxes for my wheel collection. Last night, as I was packing the bike, I detected a nasty odor that I presumed was emanating from the cardboard- like there was an old food smell from some non-cardboard garbage that had been tossed in. It wasn’t until an hour later that I determined that it originated from the adhesive in the 3M packaging tape.

The boxes are all ready to go. I am shipping the wheels separately from the frameset. I’m sure postage will cost more than it cost be to build the bike. I managed to use a bunch of extra parts, so in all fairness, I could say the bike is worth more than the sum of its parts.

2 comments:

equipoise said...

Hi,

Haven't been a regular reader of your blog until recently, but had to comment on your Prologue. I built up a '92 Prologue frameset into a fixed-gear commuter back in July, and absolutely *love* it. Lightweight, sweet ride.

Mine's silver w/black fade paint.
I haven't seen another Prologue in Minneapolis, and I've been looking. - so I was surprised to see yours!

Thought mine would become my beater commuter, but it's in such good condition and rides so sweet that it's become my new baby.

I've been meaning to post some photos of my Prologue on my blog, but haven't gotten around to it. Soon, though, soon!

filtersweep said...

Yes- it is a very nice ride. Light with tight geometry.

I agree that it is too nice to be a proper beater... fortunately the repaint on my other bike started to wear ;)