Sunday, October 30, 2005

I Can't Wait

I cannot wait to complete this move. I feel the worst is already behind us. I know that may sound strange, considering that we are still in the US. A few months ago I was thinking of how little I had to show for my tenure in Minneapolis, how I didn't have the proverbial "pot to piss in" when I arrived, and how I had little more fifteen years later after selling everything off. Actually, we have a nice chunk of money in the bank- with no credit card debt. This is a far cry from my immediate need for employment when I first moved to Minneapolis. More importantly, we have each other. Year ago I lived with virtual strangers. Finally, I am not some kid, just out of college, looking for a job in a crappy economy. Things will be quite different this time.

I have a tendency to look at the worst case scenarios- always asking what is the worst thing that could possibly happen? This was a key element to my successes at work- but I need not run my life in this manner (even though I have, lately). So far everything has been great- both with the move and with my life. But sometimes I can't help myself from asking the what ifs? As an example, we really had nothing in writing regarding our moving estimate. A guy stopped at our house to estimate the cost of our move, but we actually had nothing in writing. My worst fear was that when everything was all packed up, we would be extorted with a bunch of "extra costs." The reality was that a shipping container involves a fixed cost. There are no extra charges, except the insurance- which is based on weight, and the glass-crating cost. While this charge was a few hundred dollars- relatively expensive- breaking the glass would render the furniture worthless.

So far the worst hasn't happened, and all we have left to do is figure out how to wire our money to Norway. Then we hop on a plane with two cats, four suitcases, a bike in a box, and our carry-on luggage. Fortunately we have an Airbus- which offers video on demand in every seat.

No comments: