Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Miscellaneous Updates

Still driving the Porsche. I'd like to bike, but somehow can't- while this thing is at my disposal. When Lise drives it, she gets all sorts of looks, waves, thumbs-up. I don't seem to receive that type of reaction. I think Lise loves driving it even more than I do- and we constantly argue about who is driving. I told Lise I would buy her one for her 50th birthday. That gives me more than two decades to start saving. BTW- when I met Lise, I was particularly impressed at how well she could handle a stick-shift. There is nothing sexier than a woman who knows how to clutch. Of course, in Norway, only great-grandparents drive automatics. It was comical when we were car shopping and Lise was asking it they had any Camrys with manual transmissions. We opted for a far less stodgy car anyway.

Tonight I'll skip Norwegian class for the Timberwolves game. My boss gave me two tickets. It will be quite a while before I'll see another NBA game. Next week I'll miss class because we were invited to meet the Norwegian Crown Prince. My wife is excited about that one. I really don't get this whole "royalty thing"- especially as Norway sort of adopted their family after years of Swedish or Danish rule.

Last night I went to the Juut up the street for a haircut. Scheduling these things is sort of an impulse move on my part. Hair is like fingernails. One day it is suddenly too long and I need it taken care of immediately. My "regular" stylist wasn't available, so I took whoever was open. As I was getting cut, the usual stylist asked me how things were going with preparing to move. I didn’t think she paid any attention during the idle haircutting chit chat. I would also see her at the gym last winter. I didn’t really know her at all, except that she cut hair, worked for Juut, lived in Uptown- but there is a familiarity there that will soon be lost. Going to the gym is another perfect example- of seeing the same people every day, but having no clue who they really are. Or my bike commute- seeing the same commuters going the opposite direction, daily, like clockwork. I don’t know these people, but they are familiar. They are part of the fabric of my daily routine that provides comfort. I’m tossing out my security blanket in a few weeks.

I’m still looking into shipping options for my fixed gear bike. I’ve decided to ship THAT bike, rather than my current commuter/frankenbike. I’m guessing distances won’t be so far in Norway. I doubt I’ll have a job before the shipping container arrives. I am starting to open to the idea of paying $100 “postage” just for the bike. It isn’t that much more expensive than shipping by, well, ship. The slow boat is $50-60. I MUST have a bike when I arrive- or I will go crazy.

The same guy from the County who announced my leaving via mass email included me on a reply list about my surprise going away party. At least the CEO’s administrative assistant figured it out. She spoke with me this morning. I will no longer need to pretend to be surprised next Tuesday. This Saturday, the County guys are holding a party for me. I think that is incredibly cool- especially given how long it takes to be accepted by the CRU team. I have felt vaguely like an outsider for years, since I am only at a 0.7 FTE. That is about as part time as it gets.

I gave official notice at work yesterday. I had already written a massive missive for the newsletter that has yet to be published. My notice was rather brief in comparison, since I’ve personally expressed my feelings and appreciation to the owners and my coworkers. We have been planning this move for so long that it makes little sense for a tear-soaked letter this late in the game. This truly is a great company to work for. I am so spoiled.

On the other hand, when I arrive in Norway, all I need to do is stop by the police station and pick up my national ID number. I’ll be covered for health insurance. I already have a work permit. Norway is already spoiling me- especially compared to the efforts we undertook to obtain a green card for Lise. We literally had to huddle out in a tent in the middle of the night- during winter- as a post 9-11 security measure. After hours of waiting we made it into the building and took care of the paperwork. We had maybe $1500-2000 in fees tied up in her residency permit- and we did it without a lawyer. The US government makes it ridiculously complicated. A travel permit is called “advance parole” (as just one example of how counter-intuitive it all is). I have all the sympathy in the world for illegals. I doubt the US even publishes immigration documents in foreign languages.

I have one more proposal to get off my desk before I leave. It is literally due on my last day of work. I’m feeling less inspired than the last round. I already gave the oral presentation on this, which makes it highly unusual that I must follow it up with a written one. As often as not, they already know who they will award the contract to. This could easily be a waste of my time.

3 comments:

Sascha said...

Lordy! Do you know how hard it is to get a car dealer to show you a manual trans? I couldn't even get the Toyota dealer to give me the time o day on a manual Matrix and that thing actually has 6 gears! I finally ended up with a Mazda 3 hatch. But geez, you can't even test automatics cuz they drive so very differently.

filtersweep said...

My wife purchased a Matrix 5-speed... and the salesman seemed skeptical when she test drove it- but it was possible. I'd hate to drive a 4-cylinder automatic.

Nathan said...

I don't think even the hard-core anti-car zealots would hold your driving a loaner porsche for a few days against you. Well, maybe they would but, FWIW, I won't. ;) I used to love driving my 5-speed Integra GS-R. I sold it on election day last year and, strangely, don't even miss it. Well, not hardly. Biking really was an epiphany for me...

What is your legal status going to be over there? Not a citizen and not even working and you get health coverage - nice. I don't get why that's not a bigger issue over here. If not for altruistic reasons, at least so people would have more freedom from their employers - think of how many people would leave their jobs if they didn't have to worry about working just for the health coverage!