Thursday, October 13, 2005

Tomorrow I Ride

I drove the Porsche to my civil service county job this evening. I'm sure some taxpayers' league gadfly is taking photos of it with a telephoto lens as I speak. It will probably be published in a vanity blog about government waste. This of course actually happened, except it was a busy-body with a stop watch timing county employees' cigarette breaks. Talk about waste- all that time spent staking out the parking lot/cigarette break area.

Last night Lise was feeling a bit under the weather, so I invited Wayne to the T-Wolves game. The gratis tickets were in row D- as in four rows off the floor. I've never had non-nosebleed hoops seats before. The game took on an entirely different dimension. Garnett did not even dress for this game. I'm sure they want to save him for March. As I looked around, I wondered if anyone actually paid anywhere near the $100 face value for a pre-season, non-KG game with the Bucks.

After the game I stopped in at Waynes to see the frame I had given him in its finished incarnation. He had ground off all the cable guides, unseized the stem and seatpost, and had it professionally powder coated and clear coated. It was simply beautiful in its candy apple appearance. It actually looked like it had wet paint. It was a far cry from its oxidized, weathered patina from when I found it on a freeway overpass, propped up like a severed head to warn other frames from meeting a similar fate. I almost regretted giving it to him- but it was truly a labor of love on his part, with some outlay of cash. It was an old Raleigh Carlton frameset. The fork was thoroughly mangled. He paid the guys at One On One in beer to straighten the fork. The wonders of steel never cease.

Of course I had to sample his home-brew beer. This is another phenomenon that I simply don't understand. Every batch of home-brew I have ever sampled has been better than 90% of commercially available beer. If it is that easy to brew, why are there not much better retail beer options? I just don't understand.

Tomorrow Lise needs the car in the morning. Back to biking. I need to live in reality at some point. But that Porsche is pure evil. It is decadence on four wheels. I'd recommend never driving one. They will steal your soul. Looks like we'll still have it through the weekend.

No comments: