Monday, October 17, 2005

Commute

My commuting days around here are numbered as well. I rode in the balmy 60s this morning- although it was very dark. The Parkway is still without streetlights. A passing shower left the road wet, leaving me still scratching me head about fender options. At my advanced age, I finally have cultivated an appreciation for a frame such as the Surly Crosscheck for a commuting bike (link not safe for work if your sensibilities are offended by a balding man in a half-shirt). I see the practical value of all the fender and rack bosses, the clearance for any sort of tires, the horizontal dropouts, and steel. Trouble is, I’ll never ride my commuter into the ground, so I’ll be stuck with it forever.

My brother-in-law in Norway just purchased a mountain bike the other day. I’m sure I’ll need one at some point. Gunn-Rita Dahle, the women’s World Cup champion is from Stavanger. I still don’t know what to expect regarding road bikes or road racing. I’ve already made a “pen pal” from Stavanger- a cool guy from a bike forum. I'll probably join a club as soon as I can after we are settled in.

In cleaning up my work computer, I was reminded of my favorite French radio station that we listened to in Paris, Radio Nova. Listening to it reminds me how dreadful local radio generally is. MPR is having their fundraising drive, so I cannot even listen to that. I really don’t feel like pledging a few days before we move. Call me cheap, but I am not well practiced in unemployment.

No comments: