Saturday, October 08, 2005

Great Unwashed Bike

Yesterday I finally washed my commuter. We had so much rain this week that there was little point. Wednesday was a late night with class and hitting the bar, and Thursday we car pooled- I had to show my car after work and it was Lise's birthday. It was nice to have a good-bye drive, although I didn't know it at the time.

As I was washing, wiping, and lubing the bike, I noticed that the battery mount was wearing off the paint underneath the top tube. On second glance, I noticed the paint was wearing off all over from the rubbing of various attachments and accessories. Strangely, I found this vaguely comforting. I really don't want this bike to be "too nice." This is a work horse. It needs to be comfortable living in the elements. I still haven't figured out shipping a bike to Norway for the move. I can't be bikeless for six weeks. On the other hand, maybe I should just bring tools and build another one there. It might actually be cheaper.

No comments: