Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Sitting In Kvitsøy

We made it. All of us- including our two cats. Two very expensive cats at this point. Two very stressed cats that flew from Minneapolis to Stavanger.

We had a good flight. NWA offered to let my parents back to the gate, even though we didn`t even ask. It was nice in that it allowed them more time to hang out with us before we left. Leaving my parents and their questionable health behind was my last hurdle, and I had emotionally prepared myself for months. My parents have been very supportive about the move. My father, in fact, said he wished that he could do such a thing. My mother was a bit more emotional. Fortunately, we didn`t drag out the goodbye any more than necessary.'

The flight was quite uneventful. While we took an Airbus, our video on demand system was malfunctioning in our section, so I couldn`t watch that penguin film. I probably needed the sleep more than anything anyway.

Amsterdam was the usual- a very international airport filled with beautiful people. Even the oldsters look sharp in Schipol- even if they have been traveling for the last eighteen hours. We were fortunate to have a genuine plane taking us to Stavanger- meaning that we had a proper gate. I hate taking a bus to a plane out on the runway.

The flight to Stavanger was almost nonexistent. We landed in heavy clouds that obscured remnants of a rainy day. I was ecstatic to see the cats hand delivered to the baggage claim area. Their food hadn`t been tipped and they still had water- indicating their kitty cages had been well-handled. We had a short wait for the vet to process their paperwork and we were on our way. We have one more visit at which time they can receive EU passports- no joke!

We made our way to our new apartment to pick up keys and sign the lease. I was not disappointed. It is a very cool neighborhood on a road with an actual bike lane (rather than the usual MUT alongside a road). Also, I was countless cyclists commuting in the rain- at night- far more than I`d ever see in Minneapolis. I am thinking I will fit in more than I had imagined.

We then visited my wife`s grandmother in the hospital- the nicest hospital I have ever seen. Working in healthcare, I am too intimate with all the hospitals in the Twin Cities. This hospital had artwork in all the stairwells, and actually had cool colors painted on the walls in the single room she was staying. Very nice.

We then swung by my brother-in-law`s new apartment (which is really a condo that he is buying), then caught the ferry to Kvitsøy where we will spend the night. Tomorrow we shall gather furniture so we have a place to sleep.

Things are looking good. I already have a very good feeling about this.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Welcome home. :)

Anonymous said...

Working in healthcare sure can make you realize much about health care.