Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Crazy Keyboards

These Norwegian computer keyboards are driving me nuts (click to see example). They have these extra vowel keys, such as Ø, Å, Æ. These displace regular keys, so when I want to make a contraction , like don't, I usually end up typing donæt. It also has a few weird keys like § and ¤. I donæt even know what they are, but they move the ( ) keys over. Some keyboards donæt even have the ' key, but rather a ` key. The / key is in the wrong place. There is no @ key in ANY normal spot, so I need to hit the ALT GR key and the number 2. I guess it could be worse. I could be using a FRENCH keyboard- ALL the letters are in completely different spots. They are not QWERTY keyboards at all.

3 comments:

Sui Generis said...

You're right, French keyboards are the worst. The funniest thing was how the symbols on the top row were the defaults, and I had to use shift to type the numbers.

gwadzilla said...

never realized that there were different keyboards for different languages


is that for the frequency of different letters?

filtersweep said...

The French are just crazy- they believe that their board is more efficient than the standard board. Actually, they probably have a point, but it is like driving on the left side of the road at this point. The rest just need the different vowel sounds...

Most keyboards are not that different- just different enough!