Saturday, November 19, 2005

På Kino

I took a nice bike ride across a few bridges to some islands east of downtown Stavanger. I really should have taken a camera- the view of the city is amazing from the first bridge. We almost ended up living in an apartment on one of those islands. I think we live in a much better location where we are. I definitely will have to explore the area more. The only problem is that two of the bridges have those steel, self-cleaning bike lanes. They can be very slippery on a road bike. The temperature was hovering just above freezing, and I didn't want to be caught out as it refroze as the sun was heading down.

We went to the movies tonight in Sandnes- the new Harry Potter. If you are a fan, you won't be disappointed. It is a very dark movie- probably will traumatize small kids. If that doesn't get them, the length of it will. It was over two hours long. I think it is rated for ages eleven and up here in Norway. As I mentioned, seats were reserved. It was a very nice theater, and I believe it was sold out. Aside from the Norwegian subtitles, I would have thought I was back in the theater at Southdale in Edina.

Tomorrow is Sunday. Sundays here are like small town Sundays- everything is closed. Grocery stores are not even open. Convenience stores and gas stations are available, but that is about it. That makes Saturday a big shopping day. The only thing on our agenda is that we are delivering a car to Lise's father. Hopefully I will manage to work a ride in.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

"Aside from the Norwegian subtitles, I would have thought I was back in the theater at Southdale in Edina." Bittersweet, I'm sure.

No groceries on Sunday? Harsh. That's got to be the biggest grocery day of the week in the States! I remember how excited I was when I moved to New Mexico and the grocery stores had a full liquor section. But, "irony, big letters, tagged on the wall", the state didn't allow liquor sales until noon on Sundays and I always found myself shopping Sunday morning. Of course, now I'm back in MN and wondering what I was complaining about with no Sunday sales at all, closing at nine, and no growlers in St Paul...