Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

I almost forgot. There is no Thanksgiving here, so the day was uneventful. The extent to which it affected me was when I phoned home, and when I noticed in the news that two people were injured by a balloon at the Macys Parade.

This being a church state, however, gives us the full spectrum of relatively obscure religious holidays, like Ascention Day. The entire country shuts down for such occasions.

I had a nice bike ride earlier today. I discovered a park with an actual lake that was in Stavanger. The weather was very strange. Initially, while I was preparing to ride, it started sleeting. I could see blue sky in the distance, so I waited and enjoyed a sunny ride for a change. I am also beginning to understand the signs on all the bike routes. I think I might end up adjusting to the bike environment quite well. Unfortunately, my bike isn't so lucky. I am beginning to see rust here and there. It is a steel bike- and it has never seen rust. But here it never dries. Everything stays wet. I already have a green light for a new bike when we find work. I am thinking something in aluminum would suit me quite well.

No comments: