Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Weird Day

-Must be the full moon. I went out for a bit of a bike ride today. I left in sunshine, rode about ten minutes, then was hit by hard pelting sleet. I really don't know what else to call it. It was almost like minature hail, since it was relatively dry, yet it wasn't snow. I rode up to Tasta where the sky was clear. I realized how beautiful the area truly was as I could finally see that there were mountains beyond the fjord. Every other day they have been obscured by clouds. During my trip back I ended up in a chaotic mess of snow. The road was rather slushy. I had my slick road tires. I did fine until I had to stand to climb the final hill home, but I made it in one piece. It is crazy how quickly the weather changes.

Lise arrived home shortly thereafter. She had been babysitting for her cousin. Actually, she was sitting in Tasta, and I had ridden out to meet her, but gave up after riding all over trying to find the place. I had been there before, but we had driven from the ferry- from a completely different direction. The trouble with maps and streets is that the streets randomly change names, and they are not always reflected in the street signs. I was getting cold looking around, and it was ridiculously hilly over there. The roads truly are a labyrinth in this town.

I then went to get a haircut. Since I am unemployed, I wanted a cheap place. I spent a small fortune at a nice salon a few years ago. All I needed was a simple cut. Lise's cousin recommended a place that her boyfriend uses called Mr. X (or some such name). It was "run by immigrants." I was feeling a bit like an immigrant myself yesterday as I waited to sign up for language classes. Anyway, the place was empty when I arrived- so no waiting. I had my hair cut by a Pakistani "barber"- from the looks of things. He was no hairstylist, if you know what I mean. You would have thought there were all sorts of people waiting and that he was behind schedule based on the way he attacked my hair with an electric trimmer and comb. I seriously was thinking he was doing piece work. He finally started in with a scissors for the front part. My hair looks fine, albeit a little short. I will look extra clean-cut on Thursday. It only cost 150kr, so I can't complain.

I finally broke down and we purchased a new phone and a router. All of our IP phone issues have been fixed. I could not be happier. It turns out the phone we had borrowed wasn't working. The router allows us to have only one static IP address and be online and use the VoIP phone simultaneously. Our living room is filled with cords.

2 comments:

gwadzilla said...

ah
technology

I have not tried the VoIp
as I have no need
but that is amazing
international calls for nothing

filtersweep said...

Well, we do need to pay something like $20/month to even have it, but that is still cheaper than a regular phone- and that is all it costs. In the US, you are exempt from all the access fees, surcharges, etc... It always blew my mind how a phone in the US costed something like $20/month for basic service, but by the time you receive you bill, it more than doubles with all the taxes.

Keep in mind that in Europe, all outbound calls are normally "metered"- like long distance calls are in the US (the caller pays by the minute, they are free to receive).

Voip phones cost a bit extra to call cell phones - but it is like that for all calling of mobile phones...