Wednesday, November 09, 2005

No Internet Yet

UPC/Cello completely dropped the ball. They were scheduled to install cable broadband yesterday, but said it was incompatible for us- after promising it was compatible. They apparently do not have the best reputation. We will likely be forced to go with DSL- which is better- but it takes up to a month to install. This is a real issue when someone is looking for a job. Anyway, we will be making daily pilgrimages to my wife`s brother`s place for a few weeks.

The problem apparently stems from the free cable that we are receiving from our landlord. Actually, we get only a few channels- and they seem to change during the day- the same channels, that is. In other words, the Cartoon Network turns into Turner Classic Movies in the evening. We also receive the National Geographic Channel, and Euro MTV- which blows regular MTV out of the water. They actually show videos- with much less gangster rap. My newest guilty pleasure is the new Rammstein video Bensin. Monday Night Football came on at 3am on Eurosport. Sometimes we also receive a Swedish station. The Norwegian channels do not come in at all unless we disconnect the cable. I think it helps to read the text captioning of the English speaking networks. Trouble is, half the time is Danish, although it is practically the same thing. Bottom line, it is free. It helps me when I am up late at night.

Every night is like a Sunday night for me- that Sunday night anxiety- except I do not have a job to run off to in the morning. I am finding being unemployed more stressful than I had anticipated- but only at night. I have not even looked for a job. We have only been here a week. I need to learn some patience. On the other hand, during the day I have no regrets about moving.

During the summer, I made an internet biking "pen pal" who picked up a post from bikeforums.net that I was moving to Stavanger. It turns out, he lives about two or three "blocks" away (there really are no blocks here). I will have to give him a call soon.

Again, it is raining. It is always wet. Overnight, my bike chain rusts after a ride. I really wish we had a basement or a mud room. I need to do laundry after ever ride. I really need some good rain pants. The REI junk I purchased are not waterproof- despite their claim. The temperature is in the mid to upper 50s.

Anyway, enough procrastinating. Time to look for jobs.

No comments: