Saturday, November 19, 2005

Over/Under

I do not know why that interview left such an impression with me. It might have something to do with the fact that I really have not been in this position in almost 15 years. At my last job, I was fortunate enough to receive my promotions without having to interview.

The interviewer on Thursday made a very interesting comment. When I was discussing how well-treated I felt at my last job, he said, "Most people tend to over-estimate what they already have, and under-estimate their potential." Granted, he works for a recruiter and makes his living placing people. Still, it was what I needed to hear on the heals of questioning for months whether I was insane for quitting everything and moving. Also, in looking at wages and home prices here, for the first time I am accepting the reality that we may come out far ahead in actual income and quality of life.

Part of this may be in response to a Norwegian work culture issue. Lise and I were discussing our job search with a friend who works in the oil industry. He said they had a difficult time finding good supervisors because most people are not interested. Supervisory positions provide relatively little pay increase over non-supervisory jobs, so most people regard them as more work at about the same pay.

Today's weather is identical to yesterday, minus the sun. Again, there is a very thick frost covering everything. At least I think it is frost. It is nearly 1/4" thick. I think I will wait a few hours before biking anywhere. I really need a mountain bike.

No comments: